Post-Conflict Constitution Drafting
Direct Legal Assistance with Post-Conflict Constitutions
PILPG provides pro bono legal assistance and political counsel to parties involved in drafting and implementing post-conflict constitutions. PILPG works closely with clients to translate political agreements into effective constitutional provisions. PILPG frequently opens offices in-country to support its post-conflict constitution work. To date, PILPG has assisted over a dozen states and governments in drafting and implementing post-conflict constitutions.
- Afghanistan: PILPG provided legal assistance to the government of Afghanistan in the drafting and implementation of the 2004 constitution.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: PILPG provided legal assistance to the Bosnian government during the Brussels negotiations on state succession and served as legal adviser during the 2005-2006 Bosnian constitutional negotiations.
- Burma: PILPG advised the National Council for the Union of Burma on the development of a new constitution to govern Burma after the transition from the current military regime.
- Iraq: PILPG served as legal counsel to the Iraqi Constitutional Commission during the drafting of the 2005 constitution and provided legal assistance to the Iraqi government with the 2007 Constitutional Review Process. PILPG established a program office in Baghdad to facilitate its work in Iraq.
- Kosovo: PILPG assisted in the drafting of the 2007 Kosovo Constitution.
- Liberia: PILPG has provided legal assistance to the government of Liberia on issues of constitutional reform.
- Libya: PILPG provides legal and policy planning assistance to the Libyan Transitional National Council to promote the achievement of sustainable peace in Libya, including the establishment of transitional justice mechanisms and a post-conflict transition plan. PILPG also provides assistance on the development of a post-conflict constitutional framework for Libya.
- Montenegro: PILPG provided legal assistance to the Montenegrin government in preparing for the 2006 referendum on independence and drafting the 2007 Montenegro Constitution.
- Nagorno-Karabakh: PILPG provided a comprehensive constitutional review for the 2007 Nagorno-Karabakh Constitution.
- Nepal: PILPG is advising the Nepalese Constituent Assembly as it prepares a post-conflict constitution. PILPG established a program office in Kathmandu to support its work in Nepal.
- Somaliland: PILPG has assisted the Somaliland government in pursuing constitutional reform and drafting legislation. PILPG established a program office in Hargeisa to support its work in Somaliland.
- Tunisia: PILPG provides legal assistance to Tunisian political party and civil society leaders in issues related to constitution drafting and transitional justice.
- Yemen: PILPG assists pro-democracy and civil society leaders in Yemen on issues related to its democratic transition and constitution drafting processes.
- Zimbabwe: Following the 2008 post-election violence, PILPG provided assistance to the Movement for Democratic Change in implementing the Global Political Agreement in Zimbabwe.
Post-Conflict Constitution Toolkit
PILPG has developed a Post-Conflict Constitution Toolkit to help parties, mediators, and practitioners better prepare for drafting and implementing post-conflict constitutions. The toolkit includes negotiation simulations, a Post-Conflict Constitution Drafter’s Handbook, and Quick Guides.