Democracy and Governance
PILPG provides pro bono policy analysis and legal assistance to states and sub-state entities on matters aimed at strengthening the rule of law and promoting effective governance. PILPG has advised numerous states and governments on a wide range of issues, including issues relating to formation of effective and accountable governance mechanisms, enactment of fair and legitimate laws, enhanced civil society involvement in public policy making, protection of human and minority rights, security, and environmental protection and shared natural resources.
- Afghanistan: PILPG advised the Government of Afghanistan on legal issues regarding implementation and compliance with the Convention to Eliminate Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW).
- Czech Republic: PILPG has assisted a variety of Czech NGOs in their efforts to improve civic participation in industrial decisions that impact the environment.
- Dutch Antilles: PILPG assisted the government of the Dutch Antilles with legal issues pertaining to dissolution of their state structure.
- East Timor: PILPG advised the Government of East Timor on issues relating to the law of the sea in their negotiations with Australia over the oil and gas resources in the Timor Gap.
- Estonia: PILPG provided legal assistance to the Estonian government in negotiations with Russia concerning delineation and demarcation of the Russian-Estonian border. PILPG also provided legal advice to Estonia on international standards relating to nationality, citizenship, and the protection of national minority rights for Russians and others living in Estonia.
- Kenya: PILPG provides legal assistance to the Government of Kenya in their efforts to promote effective governance and national reconciliation. PILPG’s Nairobi program office supports its work in Kenya.
- Macedonia: PILPG advised the President of Macedonia on options available in the UN to overcome the impasse with Greece over use of the name Republic of Macedonia. At the request of the president, PILPG also examined potential grounds for filing a case before the International Court of Justice.
- Nagorno-Karabakh: PILPG has monitored four presidential and parliamentary elections in Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Poland: PILPG assisted the Government of Poland in drafting a new and comprehensive Law on the Environment.
- San Bushmen of Botswana: PILPG assisted the San Bushman of Botswana in contesting their displacement from their ancestral domain within the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. As part of this representation, PILPG also assisted the San Bushman in filing a related complaint with the International Finance Corporation.
- Small Island States Coalition: PILPG advised a number of Small Island States in connection with a potential global warming case before the International Court of Justice.
- Somaliland: PILPG has advised the Somaliland government on legal issues pertaining to constitutional reform and a variety of legislative enactments. PILPG established a program office in Hargeisa to support its work in Somaliland.
- South Africa: PILPG has advised the Parliament of South Africa on a variety of international legal issues, including questions relating to due process, human rights protections, and narcotics trafficking.
- Tanzania: PILPG assists Tanzanian government officials and the Commission on Human Rights and Good Governance in implementing and strengthening national human rights laws. PILPG’s Dar es Salaam program office supports its work in Tanzania.
- Zimbabwe: PILPG assisted the Movement for Democratic Change with implementation of the Global Political Agreement between Zimbabwe’s leading political parties.